Internal Server Error after setting permissions

Post by ldevore »

I have 2 questions. My .htaccess file asks for

Code: Select all

the/absolute/path/to/your/s9y/.htpasswd
Would it be this one?

/cchoablog/serendipity/.htaccess
Or should it also include public_html/crystalcovehoa.net? Or something else? I know an absolute path is different than a virtual path, but I'm not clear on how. :?

Second question, which I suspect stems from the first, after setting permissions to every file to 777 just to be safe because nothing else worked, I lost the Installer Interface when I tried to do a Simple Installation by calling my site (as suggested by Fresh Installation instructions) at http://crystalcovehoa.net/cchoablog/ser ... /index.php. That's what gives me the Internal Server Error. It seemed like everything was going to work until I set the permissions before pressing "Simple Installation," although the .htaccess form could have been wrong to start with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to find out what the server error is by searching the logs but they don't tell me. Thank you so very much!
ldevore

Re: Internal Server Error after setting permissions

Post by ldevore »

I tried this for the .htaccess:

/var/www/serendipity/htaccess
It at least gave me a popup login window. I entered what I'm sure is the correct login information, but I still got the ISE message. I can do nothing until I get some help from someone. I don't want to reinstall because I'll have to do all the permissions again, and that takes hours! Setting a folder perms doesn't set all the files within it, and the template folders take the longest. :roll:
onli
Regular

Re: Internal Server Error after setting permissions

Post by onli »

Hi!
My .htaccess file asks for

the/absolute/path/to/your/s9y/.htpasswd
The htpasswd is a file you create manually if you want to secure access to a site with a password. Is that something you are currently trying to set up?
I lost the Installer Interface when I tried to do a Simple Installation by calling my site (as suggested by Fresh Installation instructions) at http://crystalcovehoa.net/cchoablog/ser ... /index.php. That's what gives me the Internal Server Error
If there is an internal server error there definitely will be a log message about it somewhere, though on some hosters you have to activate the log first. My guess is that you searched in the PHP error log, but the error was caused by the htaccess modification, which would then be in the apache error log. That sadly really is easy to mix up, happened to me just yesterday :/

But to the error, changing all permissions to 777 can not be the cause of it. Either there was a different modification at the same time, or, if it was done with a function of your hoster, that one is broken. s9y wouldn't care.

My recommendation would be to start the installation again and this time to keep it simple. There should be no need to edit the .htaccess at all. If the installation runs into an error, please describe it here, look for the error message in the log, and then we can probably help.